Monday, February 08, 2010

the new yorker's eustace tilley contest 2010

My piece won:



This is the third year the New Yorker has invited the public to submit their own takes on the magazine's iconic mascot, Eustace Tilley, originally drawn by Rea Irvin for the magazine's first cover in 1925.

12 winners were chosen from over 300 submissions. You can see a slideshow of all 12 on the New Yorker's website here.

This is also the third year that I've won. One of my pieces won in 2009 and two won in 2008. You can see all of the winners from the past couple of years at the New Yorker site as well.

Special congrats to Claire B. Cotts and Marcus Thiele, also among this year's winners.

8 comments:

John Rozum said...

That's really awesome, Gary. Congratulations! Great piece too. Now you've got to get them to give you work.

Paul Klenk said...

Gary, I had to rush right over here and tell you that your Eustice Tilley cover took my breath away! Well done!

Unknown said...

Fantastic work again - and after three years of winners you'd think that the New Yorker would finally offer you a job ;)

Gerald de Dios said...

Many congrats Gary!

Julia B. said...

Wow, that's really cool. Are you going to try and win next year?

Unknown said...

That was so Injustice!!!
I didn´t win because I´m from México...
But congratulations !!!
your work is amazing...

Roy Delgado said...

Gary,
Nice work. Although I appreciate new, crazy, offbeat and trendy styles styles, I always favor more traditional art. It's something you can measure . . .where with the other styles, it's easier to hide your incompetancy . . just my humble opinion.

Roy Delgado said...

Gary,
Nice work. Although I appreciate new, crazy, offbeat and trendy styles styles, I always favor more traditional art. It's something you can measure . . .where with the other styles, it's easier to hide your incompetancy . . just my humble opinion.